It’s been a weird year to say the least due to the effects that Covid-19 has had on so many aspects of life, leaving many of us uncertain about how to handle the holiday season, let alone trying to figure out the perfect Christmas party outfit or New Year Eve’s dress. This year’s holiday season is bound to be a bit different than previous years. Regardless of whether you plan on having a socially-distanced rendezvous with close family and friends or you’re attending that annual office party via zoom this year, we’ve created a guide to help you navigate styling a complete holiday wardrobe you’re sure to look and feel absolutely stunning in! Keep in mind that these tips apply to both garments and accessories to create a complete look.
Styling Tips for the 2020 Holiday Party Season
While prints and patterns have a reputation for being very bold, the key is knowing your personal style and being aware of how to use prints/patterns to your advantage. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way. However, if you’re ready to make a fashion statement, utilizing prints and patterns is a great way to do so!
- Plaids are making a comeback this year and incorporating plaid into your holiday wardrobe is one way to get in on this trend. From cropped blazers, to midi and miniskirts, there are so many ways to use plaid.
- While leopard print was all the rage in 2019, zebra prints are the animal pattern of choice for 2020. Though zebra print may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of holiday attire, with the right accessories and fit you will be sure to stand out!
- Florals tend to be associated with the spring, although small-scale floral prints on dresses are all the rage right now. And these are not your prairie-style, casual dresses, but are chic, elegant floral print dresses fit for not only the holidays, but any special occasion.
- Velvet is such a versatile fabric. It’s stretchy, allowing for comfort, while also giving off such a beautifully chic and fabulous look that’s perfect for holiday-wear. It has a simplicity to it which allows it to look flawless as a stand-alone piece or you can pair it with more vibrant accessories to create the ultimate party look.
- Sequins and holiday dress attire will always go together. It is a classic go-to for any sort of party. If you’re looking to turn heads and cause a scene, sequin dresses are the way to go! If dresses aren’t your thing, you can wear a sequin duster jacket or a pair of sequin palazzo pants with a sweater.
- With the rise of sustainability in fashion, vegan leather or faux leather has become a popular alternative to the use of animal products. An advantage to faux leather garments, such as leggings or dresses, is that it gives your wardrobe a more dressed up look while still feeling super comfy due to its flexibility. Different sheens are also available to add a hint of variety, from ultra-sleek and shiny to a more traditional matte to a bit more textured.
- Satin is such a classic, feminine fabric to incorporate into any holiday look. It gives off a dreamy, romantic look that’s fit for more formal events. However, with the right pieces, it can be dressed down for laid-back, intimate gatherings as well.
- Furs or faux furs are a staple in dressing for the winter months and have always had a very luxurious, yet cozy look. While furs are typically used as outerwear, holiday dresses with a fur trim along the shoulder or collar give a garment that something extra that really sets a dress apart from being an ordinary dress to a holiday dress.
- Deep, jewel tones are usually associated with visual moodiness. They create such a sultry vibe that really matches the feeling that comes with the fall and winter months. Shades like burgundy, emerald green, and golden yellow are more conventional, but muted, darker shades of blue, purple, and even pink can add a bit of a range and set you apart from others.
- Pastels like mint green, champagne, soft pinks, and ivory shades evoke a cool and refreshing feeling reminiscent of the end of the year.
- Metallics are always a showstopper and especially a great option for New Year’s Eve outfits, however just as perfect for Christmas as well. Both cool tones like silvers, blues, and blacks, as well as warm tones such as golds, bronzes, and coppers. For a more vibrant look, you can try duotones with a color flip or rainbow metallic styles that will pop under holiday lighting.
Everyone’s body is different and unique; therefore, you should always choose silhouettes that compliment your shape. Below are some trending features in silhouettes.
- Wrap dress – perfect for literally all shapes, heights, sizes
- Mini dress – from simple and sleek to vibrant and wild, the mini dress is a classic
- Bell or Balloon Sleeves – adds a bit of drama to a look
- Goddess gown – appropriate for more formal events, but always a stunner!
- Detailed collars – a simple way to add something extra to your garment without overdoing it.
Alternatives to Dresses –
Not everyone feels comfortable in a dress and would prefer to wear pants, yet still have a look that’s quick to turn heads.
- Jumpsuits – There are so many great jumpsuits right now that look every bit as stunning as a dress. From casual to high-glam, you can find so many different varieties that will work for your body shape and style.
- Palazzo pants give off a somewhat similar look as jumpsuits. They are basically very wide leg pants that have a dressy aesthetic. Many of them are available in sequins, jacquards, and metallic, shiny colors that look